What does your air conditioning system do?
In a nutshell, it's what keeps you warm or cool as the temperature outside changes the temperature inside. It uses an air conditioning refrigerant to provide cooling with the use of all air conditioning parts inside and comes in various sizes and cooling capabilities, depending on an individual's needs.
What is the difference between the air handler and the condensing unit?
Basically, it's a split-system air conditioner with the cold part inside in the house (the air handler) and the hot side on the outside (the condensing unit). The air handler takes the place of a furnace inside the home, usually in the attic, and consists of an evaporator coil and air conditioning refrigerant. The air handler blows air through the evaporator coil and then transfers it throughout the home or building using the ductwork to ensure every room is getting the end result - air conditioning and cold air. The condensing unit in located outside the home or building and does the same thing, only it uses hot air from the outside and transfers it to the inside of the home using a condenser coil.
Why should I clean my air conditioning filter?
To ensure you get the most out of your air conditioning system, plus it collects all kinds of allergens, including animal dander, dust and pollen.
When should I call my air conditioning company or air conditioning contractor if there's a problem with my air conditioning system?
An air conditioning system is supposed to last you at least 12-15 years, some even run longer if taken care of properly. If you feel your air conditioning unit is not helping you shave costs and/or does not provide you with proper heating and air conditioning, seek out a professional. Oftentimes, air conditioning repairs can cost more than simply installing a new air conditioning system. Ask and compare prices. If you hear any grinding noises or feel you have an air conditioning refrigerant leak, an air conditioning company will need to come in and do any necessary repairs.
What is portable air conditioning for?
Portable air conditioning is mainly for spots in your home or building that can't seem to get cool enough. Portable air conditioning is also great for those living in apartments, senior citizens or physically disabled individuals because it's easy to clean and there is no hassle involved.
What are some ways I can save money on my air conditioning?
There are actually a few ways you can save costs, many of which can become almost habit-forming. Here are some tips:
- Clean the evaporator and condenser coils to make sure there is no rust buildup.
- Change or clean your air conditioning filters monthly or bi-monthly.
- Set your thermostat higher helps. Digital thermostats can also be programmed days in advance too, in order to help with a busy schedule.
- At your annual inspection, make sure the air conditioning company or air conditioning contractor checks the air conditioning refrigerant is at its proper level so you get enough cool air.
- Have your air ducts cleaned at least once a year in a home, at least three times a year for commercial property.
- Check all the air vents. If there is not enough air flowing, it is more than likely the air conditioning filters - make sure they are always clean. If a certain room does not have an air vent, have one installed. If you have a hot room and cool air flows through, it will never get cool enough without proper ventilation, especially in attics.